Saturday 4 November 2017

Leotards anyone?

My youngest started gymnastics a few weeks ago and I thought to myself "I really should attempt to make her a leotard" During a recent sale I had bought the Lil Luxe Alley Cat Leotard pattern and so I set out to make a leotard... and so began a new obsession!

I started off using some jersey I had bought at Spotlight and made a muslin - however it's become one of her most worn items of clothing - winning! I adjusted the pattern instructions to suit my laziness. I did not want to line it so I just left that bit out and used my overstitch to hem the neck/back line and it's made no difference to the fit or style of the pattern.




She's wearing it here with the Leon Shorts by Papillion and Mandarine I have three favourite shorts patterns, this is one of the 3.


As you can see here, another modification I made was to add leg bands instead of elastic at the legs - I simply didn't have the width elastic required handy, so I used the elastic length to cut the leg band and made it 1.5" wide (I changed this to 2" wide on later makes) and then i ended up making leg bands for all the rest as I thought it was pretty cute that way.


Then of course, big sister wanted one too!


Leotard fabric:  Organic Pink Spots fabric by Tadah, Shorts Fabric from Spotlight

How could I refuse?! I mean how cute is she!!! Here she is wearing them with the Ainslee Fox Scuttle Shorts from Issue 16 of One Thimble - one of my other favourite shorts patterns.





She did eventually wear one to gymnastics... but I have to admit both my girls have mainly been wearing them as bodysuits under their shorts or skirts as a fashion item! 


I've got a couple more of these cut out to make up for my nieces who arrive from Japan next month for a holiday! I hope they will love them as much as my girls do!

Happy sewing
T xx


1 comment:

  1. lovely kids !!! She looks so gorgeous. all dress are so wonderful. really love it.

    ReplyDelete